Nowadays it’s more simple to travel to many countries with an e-Visa, including Laos. Electronic visa service (e-Visa) was applied by the end of 2019, which has attracted much more foreign tourists to Laos. This blog will show you everything about Laos e-Visa.
1. What is Laos e-Visa?
The Laos eVisa or Laos Approval Letter is an official electronic travel authorization that simplifies the process of obtaining a visa to travel to the country. A valid Laos electronic Visa allows citizens from eligible countries to visit for tourism purposes. Once approved, the Laos online visa will grant its holder a stay of up to 30 days in the southeast Asian Nation.
2. Where can you get Laos e-Visas?
Travelers can apply directly for e-Visas here: Laos e-Visa Official Website
3. How long does it take to get a Laos e-Visa?
E-Visa is processed within 03 working days after receiving the completed application and full e-Visa fee.
Please note that your application will proceed on the same day if you apply in the morning session. If you apply in the afternoon session, then your application will proceed on the next day of the Lao local time (GMT+7).
4. How much must you pay for Laos e-Visa?
The e-Visa fee will range from $35-50 depending on your nationality. You can pay by credit card online.
5. Who can apply for an e-Visa?
Lao eVisa facility is available for the following countries: see list
6. Laos e-Visa Requirements
In order to submit a Laos e-Visa application, it is necessary to have the following:
- An eligible passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in Laos, containing at least 2 blank pages
- A recent digital photograph of the traveler, passport-style
- A valid debit or credit card to pay the Laos eVisa fee
- A current email address at which to receive the approved Laos online visa.
Applicants are required to provide both the date of intended arrival and details of the accommodation where they will be staying in Laos on the application form.
Some additional supporting documentation, such as a travel itinerary and proof of sufficient funds to cover the stay, may be requested by officials at the border before the traveler is permitted to enter Laos.
7. How to Apply for Laos e-Visa?
- Complete the online application form
- Attach the required documents.
- Pay the online application fee.
- Wait for the visa application to process. This takes about three working days unless there is a problem with your application.
- Download the e-Visa Approval Letter. You will receive it in your email. Once you get the approval letter, you have 60 days to use it.
8. Do I Have to Print the Approval Letter?
The current visa rules for Laos require visitors to print the e-Visa Approval Letter. A paper copy is needed to enter the country.
Passengers must bring their Laos e-Visa printout with them when they travel. It will be needed at border control. They must show it to an Immigration Officer upon arrival in Laos.
It is not acceptable to show the PDF on an electronic device or a photo of the e-Visa. Travelers who cannot present a paper copy of the Approval Letter may be denied entry.
9. Which entry ports will tourists be able to enter Laos through?
Once the electronic Laos visa is approved, the holder will be able to enter Laos through one of the
following entry ports:
- Wattay International Airport (Vientiane Capital)
- Luang Prabang International Airport (Luang Prabang Province)
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I (Vientiane Capital)
- Pakse International Airport (Champasak Province)
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II (Savannakhet Province)
10. Other common Questions about e-Visas
What if I lose my e-Visa?
If you lose your e-Visa approval letter, you can reprint it by accessing it from your email.
My passport is expiring soon, can I still get a visa?
All visitors need to have a passport valid for more than 180 days from the date of arrival. If your passport validity is less than 180 days, you must renew or apply for a new passport before you can apply for eVisa.
What are the photo requirements for an e-Visa?
Your photo must be:
- Sized 4 x 6 cm.
- In color.
- Taken within the last 6 months.
- With no shadows.
- With a plain white background.
- You must face the camera in the photo.
- Have a neutral expression.
- Have both eyes open.
If you are a national of one of the European Union countries, Canada, the USA, or Australia, you will be able to apply online for an e-Visa instead of waiting in long queues at the airport to obtain your visa on arrival. The countries that are now eligible for the tourist online visa can apply for their Arppoval Letter online from home.
Besides E-visas, Visas on arrival are also very popular with most tourists to Laos. The visa on arrival is a Laos tourist visa that allows its holder a stay of up to 30 days in the country. It is possible to extend the stay, however, travelers must pay 10 USD for each additional day they choose to stay in Laos. To get a visa on arrival, you need a valid passport with at least 6 months remaining on your travel document, an application form, two photographs that meet the requirements, and cash to pay for the respective fee. You also need to be a citizen of an eligible country.